11/15/2008

The Crew for the Crossing

From left to right: Liam Doyle, Andrew Smith, Rusty, Sylvain Allard.
The original plan was that Kerry (my wife) and Zelma (my daughter) were to come along as crew. This didn't work out for a handful of reasons, the prime being havening trouble figuring out what to do with the house we were leaving.

So with a month to go before departure I had to scramble to kept it from being just Rusty and I.

Rusty it turns out can keep a pretty good watch for being a dog. He'll bark at freighters and fishing boats and if they happen to be up wind, you'll get plenty of notice. He also wont drink the good scotch.

I found Liam via Crewseekers International. He has his YRA Yacht Masters and was looking for miles to obtain is Ocean Yacht Masters. I sure lucked out with him. Not only can he easily handle the day today of delivery work, he is a good cook and great company. He is looking to make a living doing this kind of work. If your looking for crew, I highly recommend him. His long term dream is to have a charter boat in Hebrides and provide tours of Single Malt Scotch distilleries( no, he wont drink your good scotch with out it being offered).

Silvan came to us via a crew wanted add posted on Sailing Anarchy. In the end I wasn't clear what Silvain was hoping to gain from the experience though he was fond of a pirate head scarf. I was certainly glad for the additional sleep having two other humans provided.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Crew of the Solstice said...

Hmm. Maybe Liam would like to help John deliver Solstice from Norway to Scotland this summer. Nice description of your crew.

Andrew said...

It sure couldn't hurt to ask him.

His email is "Liam Doyle" loydoy at tiscali.co.uk"